Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Perfect Travel Monitor for your DSLR or Mirrorless Camera - SmallHD Focus 5" LCD


I found that when traveling and trying to shoot video, I often find the built-in LCD screens for most DSLR and mirrorless cameras tend to be extremely hard to see in bright sunlight, and it can also be difficult to nail critical focus with such a small screen.  A loupe or an expensive 3rd party EVF could have been the solution, but I opted to go with the SmallHD Focus 5" monitor which retails for $599 USD for the camera-specific bundles or $499 USD for the monitor by itself.

The camera bundle includes
a dummy battery to power your camera from the monitor battery, a tilt arm for mounting to a hot/cold shoe, and several other very useful accessories. A couple of bonus items that caught me by surprise were the tempered glass screen protector and the full-sized HDMI coupler. Kudos to SmallHD for including these items.

This monitor is supposed to be great in bright sunlight and has built-in focus and exposure assist tools. We shall see... Once I thoroughly test it out, I'll be back with a more in-depth review. If it does what it's supposed to do, I believe it will be a great monitor to travel with when you need to make sure your shots are the best they can be. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment